AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 05:52:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Energy Work, Psionics, & Paranormal Studies  |  General Psi | Psychic | Psionics | Energetic Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Skills In Relation To Age? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Skills In Relation To Age?  (Read 17162 times)
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 12:43:33 PM »

Transfered From Suscitatio Forum
Posted By: WingedWolfPsion
On: February 18, 2008, 03:10:44 PM

The moment you find someone who knows it all, you can be sure you've found someone who knows nothing. lol

If you've found this site helpful, consider using the donate button to reciprocate the effort.

--SoulSplat
House AVA Founding Member
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 12:44:45 PM »

Posted By: Intent_Analysis
On: February 29, 2008, 07:02:34 PM

I do not speak in anger, friend, but I do speak FROM anger.

I am angry that there are those in here who seem dedicated to stopping any useful prgression of thought.  Who seem only dedicated to bickering and arguing with what anyone else says, out of the deep and driving desire to be right about everything.

What I will say to you is this:  your age is irrelevant to your skills.

Irrelevant.

They grow in the manner that you exercise them.  A forty year old man, who has practiced all his life, may be weaker than you, simply out of improper teaching, training, or self-constriction.

All the power in the universe is at your fingertips.  You have only to exercise it.

If you've found this site helpful, consider using the donate button to reciprocate the effort.

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 12:45:47 PM »

Posted By: Solora
On: February 29, 2008, 07:23:21 PM

Intent I don't know why your upset, I don't see the biases your talking about. Granted I'm new here but still.... Everyone seems pretty open minded and willing to accept the fact that age does not dictate talent or skill.

As to the original question, I'd have to say I've stayed about the same. I certainly have learned more over the years, but the 'talent' has not gone up or down. The things i've practiced alot are easier, so I suppose with a broader knowledge base I'm stronger.

No matter how skilled you are, or how much you know there is always more to learn. I learn new things from my students ALL the time. A student teacher relationship should be viewed almost as a partnership. You help each other grow so much. The teacher who does not know this is incapable of helping their student reach his or her full potential.

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 12:46:47 PM »

Posted By: WingedWolfPsion
On: February 29, 2008, 08:14:28 PM

Well, I do have a small quibble with one aspect of that--it's true that someone who's 40 is not necessarily more skilled than someone who's 14.  However, that doesn't quite make age irrelevent.  Someone who's 14 and has studied intensively since they were 10 is not too terribly likely to be better than someone who's 40 and has studied intensively since they were 10.  There's a point at which natural talent just isn't going to make up for years of hard work.  There are exceptions to every rule, but apart from rare extremes, age DOES matter when all ELSE is equal.

Debate is a healthy part of the learning process. If everyone agreed on everything, we would learn tremendously less than if we discuss our disagreements, and explain them to one another.  Often this process can uncover new ideas that no one would have thought of if they hadn't gone through the process of explaining their point of view in detail, and hearing dissenting points of view.  Diversity is strength.

A desire to be right about everything...I'm having trouble figuring out why that is wrong.  Why would anyone WANT to be wrong about things?  The only way to fix the matter when you are wrong about something is to change your mind...  Wink
The more you are proven wrong, the more errors you fix, and the closer you can get to your goal of being always right. Cheesy

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 12:47:35 PM »

Posted By: RavenHarte
On: May 11, 2008, 10:49:04 PM

I honestly dont think my skill has had anything to do with my age, its had all to do with my experience. If I had been initiated and starting training earlier I would have been more experienced earlier. had I come to the vampyric arena earlier I would have been more experienced earlier. Having a different exposure level than I had, my children, and my students are learning things much earlier than I ever did, not having had the teachers to show me certain things, or to provide me with the situations necessary to grow my skills.

No I'd say it has little to do with age, it has more to do with what you are taught, exposed to and absorb and when.

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
Taris
Level 3 Contributor

Feel free to contact me for discussions.

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 05:13:08 PM »

Another interesting topic.

I wonder if it may not be age that dictactes for those who find things more difficult over the years but perception. As you are brought into society, as you learn what others percieve to be possible and impossible and are given more and more unto these thoughts, perceptions, and ways you come to have them in your mind constantly. You may percieve them true subconciously because it is widely accepted that they are and thus limit yourself.

I find that is the case with karma. You understanding is that you do negative it is returned however-many-fold unto you. You percieve this and sort of will this into existence through either guilt or regret. (Theory of mine) But what if it is thus the same with the very workings you do. The person who claimed he/she has found it more difficult with age, are you part of a society in which you discuss such things as the "impossible" energyworks and how "witches" cannot do as they claim? Do you have these viewpoints constantly engraved upon your subconcious? I find that perception is one of the largest factors in how our subconsious may or may not limit us.

Everything writ is from ones perception. Every knowledge aquired is normally percieved and understood in some way by the one aquiring the knowledge. Thus biasing it to that persons experiences and their understanding and perception. Thus those learning from that ones experience is learning a percieved or biased teaching suited possibly only to that person. Hence why some "spells" may find themselves working for one and not another. Anyway I ramble on again. Just a few thoughts.

Going back into the shadows again. Hope those within the community can solve what needs to be solved and those new to it can handle it or run while ya can lol.

Back somewhat but still determining if things are fixed >.> XD Can contact me via PM for discussion or hit me up on facebook.
arcane
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 12:13:26 PM »

* Increased difficulty in working/sensing energy over time *

I've encountered many having this problem. In most cases their energy-system has become gunked up with foreign energies. By having several people clearing them and aligning their chakras, suddenly the person is able again to do energy work.

I recommend having the person clear/align themselves first, see if that resolves it. And if not, then get some help.

I personally have a whole team of folks I go to when I need healing. I'm there for them too when they need it.
I highly recommend having a few people you rely on for assistance.

If you don't have anyone to help, feel free to drop by my IRC channel and ask an op for some help. All are well trained for such things. Dalnet, #houseofancients

Darklilone
Level 5 Contributor

Amelia Nightside

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 04:41:32 PM »

Have you noticed that your proficiency with energy manipulation has increased, decreased, or remained the same in relationship to your age?
To what do you attribute this change, if any?

Decreased, i think.
i believe though i'm more aware of it's exitance and that such things are possible "real life" tends to get in the way.
being able to manipulate energy or sense someone's emotions isn't exactly going to earn me a living and put food on the table, though it could be used constructively to do so.
It was also very overwhelming for a while, i found it difficult to take control so was more or less forced to block it out.. force a 'shut off' switch.. which didn't help a whole lot with retaining and building on things.

i think my belief in such things has also waivered with age, as there aren't a whole lot of people (to my knowledge) locally that i can relate with and practice with (or that i'm willing to).. some things, apparently require a bit of faith/belief to exist.. even if they still do, without it, i think it's become less obvious of it's existance and the possibilities...
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: