AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 09:59:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Energy Work, Psionics, & Paranormal Studies  |  General Psi | Psychic | Psionics | Energetic Discussion (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Psi Related Fluff - What Do You Consider Real? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Psi Related Fluff - What Do You Consider Real?  (Read 13174 times)
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« on: February 05, 2009, 08:59:09 PM »

Transfered From Suscitatio Forum
Posted By: Merticus
On: February 03, 2008, 03:08:07 PM

Of the countless concepts presented in the psi/psionic community which concepts do you consider real and which do you consider fluff. 

What concepts do you consider to possess tinges of both validity and fantasy?

Aerokinesis, Pyrokinesis, Cryokinesis, Insert Your Own Kinesis Here, Teleportation, Physical Shifting, Astral Related Entities, Radionic Devices, Psychic Warfare Leading To Physical Harm Or Death, Reincarnated Souls Of Animals/Aliens/Auntie B., etc.?

If you've found this site helpful, consider using the donate button to reciprocate the effort.

--SoulSplat
House AVA Founding Member
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:01:35 PM »

Posted By: hagithpsi
On: February 03, 2008, 05:10:18 PM

I am wary of individuals who claim to possess the ability to kill individuals purely via psychic abilities, or who believe they possess any kind of physical ability.

If you've found this site helpful, consider using the donate button to reciprocate the effort.

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 09:02:49 PM »

Posted By: WingedWolfPsion
On: February 03, 2008, 08:22:42 PM

Moving matter with the mind is just that--some folks may find moving a specific state of matter easier (gas, solid, liquid, plasma).  Beyond that, there is no difference, and every little thing does not require its own title as a seperate ability.  Also note that 'pyrokinesis' would mean moving fire, but is often misconstrued to refer to firestarting.  Those aren't the same ability.  "Cryokinesis" is the same ability as firestarting.  Cute names confuse the issue.  These abilities are rare, and difficult to learn and control.

Teleportation--I have some skepticism.  I have heard reports of small objects being teleported to a person, normally when they are distracted and rushed--and they aren't able to repeat the experience.  I suspect this ability to be quite rare, and virtually uncontrollable, if it exists at all--and quite limited.

Physical shifting--I don't think so.

Astral/spirit entities--I make these for a living.  They are construct entities, but still qualify.  Customers have given us legitimate details about them that were't in the listing, thus validating their existence many times over.  I've had quite a lot of experience with spirit critters in general, some of it quite bad, some good.

Radionic devices--many are bullshit, but a few of specific types work quite well--they don't always do what they're CLAIMED to do, but they do SOMETHING.

Psychic Warefare = death--maybe.  I taught a couple of psy-vamps how to use remote mesmerism after I explored it a bit.  Mesmerism is an innate vamp ability that allows a person to basically stun another person for a brief period of time--to paralyze them, and trance them out.  Simply picture doing this to someone as they're heading for a red light, and killing them this way isn't at all unfeasible.  Or even particularly difficult.  And that's just one way it can be done.  We aren't talking about outright crushing someone's mind, or stopping their heart.  That's not necessary.  There are LOTS of ways to kill people by arranging their misfortune.

Reincarnation/transmigration--if my memories are correct, I'm going to have to give this one a thumbs up.  I've too much evidence of folks sharing memories of past lives, or between/before lives.

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
SoulSplat
House AVA Founder
House AVA Member
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 09:04:04 PM »

Posted By: Arcane
On: February 27, 2008, 04:20:09 PM

I've never seen in person any kinetic abilities, but I've no doubt I will at some point.

Generally, the only real Fluff I've encountered is those that razz on others. Often those people tend to be bitter, lost and lacking.

Even if something seems fanciful, if someone says they can do it, then I want to see. As, once I experience a thing, I can usually duplicate it.

-Arcane
www.HouseofAncients.com

--SoulSplat
Forum Moderator
WingedWolfPsion
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 05:14:27 PM »

Considering how many times I've had to shift my paradigm to accomodate reality, I've learned not to make set assumptions about what is real any longer.

Instead, I use a sort of personal probability scale:

If I've personally witnessed it, it's probably real.
If someone whose abilities I trust has witnessed it, it's likely to be real.
If the explanation of how it functions seems plausible in accordance with what I have witnessed of how psi functions, and how physics functions, it may be real.
If the explanation of how it functions seems implausible, no one reliable that I know has directly witnessed it, and there are scant reports of it, it is not likely to be real.
If it would have had to have had multiple witnesses because of what happened (who cannot be produced), it's dramatically overpowered, and has no plausible explanations, and directly contradicts physics, I'll have to see it to believe it. <lol>

A few examples:

Psi balls and telepathy:  real

Psychokinesis:  likely to be real.

Teleportation of small objects: may be real

Teleportation of oneself over long distances:  Not likely to be real.

Physical shapeshifting:  I'll have to see it to believe it.

--Winged Wolf
Home page: www.wingedwolfpsion.com
Metaphysical business:  www.eclipsemetaphysical.com
Reptile business:  www.eclipseexotics.com
Follow my Twitters:  WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics
Azoth
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 07:47:54 PM »

Anything is possible, most of it just isn't probable.  And what I do know, I am not likely to share! Tongue

Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think!!
LadyOfPales
Level 4 Contributor

ITS A SPY

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 03:14:09 PM »

Im very skeptical when it comes to psychic stuff. I dont exactly understand how a person can know what another is thinking, even though I have an idea.
Moving objects.... eh maybe. I want to see it from all sides in person first.
healing stones.. maybe not.
I'd love to know more about these things though

>:|
S
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 08:46:42 AM »

cryokinesis, and pyrokinesis I can confirm, as well as remote-mesmerism.
I doubt, however, that teleportation would be likely to happen with the current brain capacity of a person.  you'd have to be able to reconstruct the object from a molecular level, if what i believe to be true is so.
The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 06:54:57 PM »

Let's play resurrect the dead thread! One of my favorite games.

I have had a lot of experiences covering a wide range of psychic phenomena from telepathy to remote viewing to empathy to various other aspects including mediumship and dealing with creatures that may or may not be present.

My thoughts on it are pretty simple:

I don't close my mind to the possibility of anything. The power of the human mind is almost unfathomable. But that being said, any kid that thinks he can set his house on fire with the power of his mind is probably living in a delusional world. True psychic abilities aren't like the kid in the Matrix that can bend spoons, for the most part. Some of them just happen whether you hone them or not (mediumship, empathy, etc.) but anything that is the mind causing effects in the world around us (the kinetic abilities) would be something that doesn't just appear and become powerful overnight. As much as all of us would like to be Avatar: the Last Airbender it isn't happening.

The abilities that involve perceptions are more likely to simply be present in a person whether they train them or not. I'm a medium, on some level, I'm an empath, and have other extrasensory perceptive abilities that have just been with me all my life though they have strengthened through use and understanding.

That's just my thoughts on the matter. Now be free my zombie thread, free and eat the brains of... aw, who am I kidding?

A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.
-- Alexander Pope, Unknown , 1688-1744

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
-- Heinlein's Razor
paindancer
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 07:47:10 PM »

I think Sentinel needs a special title of 'thread necromancer'

Paindancer
Advocating sensible vampirism since 2006
The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 11:56:16 PM »

Muahahaha, yesss, yesss my minions! *thunderclap*

A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.

-- Heinlein's Razor
Vyrus
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 01:58:35 PM »

like most everyone else said, most of these things are not currently possible, but some of them are. for instance, i have severe empathy to the point of i can focus enough to actually feel what another person feels, physically (this is one reason why i cannot watch any medical shows that show surgery). however, we are not quite advanced enough to be able to teleport, or fly. this is just the way things are right now. there are few that show promises of psychokinesis, such as moving lead balls across tables without touching them (and i'm not talking about youtube videos here. there are actual tests in this matter going on in the government, even in NASA. I don't quite know why NASA is doing it, but they are.) if the average brain was the size of a fist, we are only using a pinky-sized portion of it at any given time (actual fact). those people who can move those balls across the table maybe only use a pinky and a half. now imagine what would happen if we used our entire brain. these things we speak of could be possible. It may be that Psy Vamps are using more of their brain than other Vamps, and have found it easier for them to directly feed off of energy rather than blood, like a Sang. this may be why Psys also have some "powers".

of course, this is just speculation.

Blind the masses with lies of peace, then deafen them with the symphony of war.
Kasada
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 06:35:27 AM »

I think Sentinel needs a special title of 'thread necromancer'

Posting in a thread *less than a month after* the last post is so not necroing.

Anyway, I'm rather hesitant to believe most anything that I haven't either experienced, heard from a very reliable source, or that I can reason out based on existing evidence or experiences.  Preferably more than one of the above.

May you find a twist in your road.
The Sentinel
Level 4 Contributor

The Thread Zombie

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 01:48:50 PM »

There's nothing wrong with that. However, being open to the possibility that it could potentially happen is another matter. Believing that it has or will happen, or that it has happened to this person or that person is different than ruling out the possibility of something occurring. Which is what I do. I'm willing to consider that many improbable things could potentially occur, absolutely, but I am very skeptical when told that Timmy the Twelve Year Old can control my weather with the power of his miiind.

-- Heinlein's Razor
razorblade_recon
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 04:53:59 PM »

Here is my response in statement format...

"I can kill you with my mind". BS!!
"I can control the elements, air, fire, earth, etc". Cool, show me.
"I can transform into a bat, wolf, etc". While this may be an awesome thought I call total BS, #1, if bat or other small creature, where does the human mass go? it has to go somewhere, and NO it doesnt get compacted, #2 if wolf or human sized creature why have I NEVER seen this before, have a buddy take a pic mid way through I have E-Mail...guess what.....I still have no new messages. Yes I do realize that some things cant be explained, are debatable but there is a point where you just have to call total BS. "I can throw Ki balls using internal energy"....Awesome!!! but this is NOT dragon ball Z. BS. And hell, Im a pretty open being when it comes to such things, and depending on the topic Idont even have to be shown, most of the time I will ask said person "can you just explain to me how this works feasably?" And I get that blank stare....
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: