AVA Main Directory | Resource Links | Event Calendar | Vampirism Research Study | Archived AVA Forum v1.0

Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]
User Info
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 08:47:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Key Stats
19898 Posts in 2604 Topics by 1004 Members
Latest Member: DragonBLood
Home Help Arcade Login Register
Atlanta Vampire Alliance [AVA]  |  Vampires & Vampirism  |  Donor & Hunger Support (Moderators: Merticus, SoulSplat, Eclecta, Maloryn, Zero)  |  Have You Or Do You Reguarly Donate Blood, etc.? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Have You Or Do You Reguarly Donate Blood, etc.?  (Read 27980 times)
Merticus
House AVA Founder
Administrator
Level 5 Contributor

« on: February 08, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »

Do you donate blood on a regular basis to the Red Cross or other organizations?  (not as a donor)

Do you suffer any ill effects from this donation?

Does this increase, decrease, or have any effect on your need to feed?

Do you donate platelets, plasma, or marrow as well?

starbuck
Level 2 Contributor

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 02:14:32 PM »

No
Tonic
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 08:52:08 AM »

Do you donate blood on a regular basis to the Red Cross or other organizations?  (not as a donor)
Yes as often as allowed
On the contrary, I am greatly helped by it...
Two theories abound in the mind here;
1) I'm hetrozygotic for Haemachromatosis, and as such have chronic IOD (Iron Overload Disorder)
2) I'm no darn good at grounding.
No effect, if any I feel energized, underneath the subtle effects of need to rebuild the blood. The challenge to my blood producing system.
Just blood, but you bring up an interesting concept... try the marrow and compare.
Too bad I don't know someone who could use my marrow.
My curiosity would make the discomfort become like the pain associated with the "no pain on gain" syndrome of athletes, wherein the pain is something to be proud of, sought after.

Thank you Mert for all that you do. I am looking forward to Twilight III and just hope some business trip doesn't trump that weekend. One reason I want to know the specifics of it, is that I can just schedule a customer visit on one end or the other and the ride, and car is free. More importantly, I have a time and place slated with a customer, making all other business trips take a position of at least parity.
That can be used to help me define my destiny in this regard.
Tonic
We had such a great time at "T___II" *SMILES*
Camazotz
Level 1 Contributor

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 11:10:03 AM »

Yes, as often as I am allowed to... between piercings, tattoos, travel and anaemia I tend to get turned down a lot

No... Actually if they'd let me I'd give more/more often. I make the blood up very easily and actually feel a personal benefit from donating (not that that's my reason for doing it).  It's certainly not as beneficial as I find donating to sangs to be, but I do feel a physical/emotional release from doing so.

No effect whatsoever...

Looking into doing so, but not currently as being tested for a genetic condition affecting my ability to deal with iron.
Sunshine1626
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 08:17:46 PM »

Yes, as often as I can.

Sometimes. Mostly I either get a headache or feel like I'll pass out (even after the fifteen minutes they have you wait).

There's little to no effect.

I have only ever donated whole blood.
RedRaven
House AVA Member
Level 3 Contributor

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 03:55:23 AM »

No, I don't donate, but I couldn't anyway, I get tattooed too often.  Grin
Glenn
Level 3 Contributor

The wind blows on the Cycle of the Sun

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 10:18:04 PM »

I used to regularly and always enjoyed it as it helps other people. I have not recently however. Maybe I should start again.
belovedofdeath
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 11:12:56 AM »

I donated once, and it was such a horrible, traumatic experience that thinking about it makes me tear up and feel gross.  They didn't do anything wrong or immoral or anything else like that.  I just felt so bad and sick and terrible that I will never do it again.
GraVes
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 03:28:23 PM »

I've donated blood and plasma several times in the last few years. I liked it since I felt good for what I was doing and also I've been a donor before and it was similar.

"20 Bucks says none of y'all dumb white people can kill me"
Sfinelli3
Level 5 Contributor

There was a boy. A very strange, enchanted boy.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 09:40:57 AM »

I have only donated once, and like beloved, will never do it again.  I felt completely and utterly horrible after the experience.  I was constantly tired and couldnt do anything for about a week.  I was miserable.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return.
belovedofdeath
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 02:18:57 PM »

I have only donated once, and like beloved, will never do it again.  I felt completely and utterly horrible after the experience.  I was constantly tired and couldnt do anything for about a week.  I was miserable.

well, i'm just terrified of needles.  though, i did feel sick and stuff for a week, probably because i dont always remember to eat and so i didn't replenish my blood sugar as quickly as other people could and/or do.
Thought
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 02:55:04 PM »

I was so stoked when I was finally the age I could give blood.  I was in perfect health and rushed to roll up my sleeve.  I am not afraid of needles, the pain never bothered me and with me being healthy and medium sized I thought I'd be perfect.

I soon learned otherwise...

It started out fine and my blood started filling the bag like everyone else.  Then it started to slow very quickly after a few minutes and they had to have me squeeze like crazy to keep it pumping.  I've always been like that, I bleed a lot at first and then my body tries to shut off the flow and keep my blood inside.

Eventually after about an hour I filled the bag and the nurses said this was actually good, because then I wouldn't be sick.  I felt ok at first, nibbled some snacks and drank some juice.  I stood up to leave...and hit the floor...

I have never felt so terrible as I did after that.  Everyone around me went sheet white.  They said I was GREEN in the face and that my eyes rolled back in my head.  I don't think I can ever remember being so sick.  I laid around for DAYS unable to think, eat, or even move!

The nurses suggested that perhaps my body just couldn't take it and my blood pressure would bottom out from even the slightest bit of blood loss.

This holds true today.  Any substantial amount of blood loss, even that which wouldn't harm any other person will drop me like a sack of potatoes.  I feel badly because I know I have 'clean' blood and that someone might be able to use it...but it is really hard for me to give blood.  The same is true of my father who is 6'2" and 275 lbs.  If he tries to give blood, he'll hit the floor and be out.  His blood pressure bottoms out to the point he will sometimes need medication to jump start him.  I don't risk it anymore.  Sad

iVamp : Ask me what kinds of Apps I come with.
belovedofdeath
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 02:56:42 PM »

I was so stoked when I was finally the age I could give blood.  I was in perfect health and rushed to roll up my sleeve.  I am not afraid of needles, the pain never bothered me and with me being healthy and medium sized I thought I'd be perfect.

It started out fine and my blood started filling the bag like everyone else.  Then it started to slow very quickly after a few minutes and they had to have me squeeze like crazy to keep it pumping.  I've always been like that, I bleed a lot at first and then my body tries to shut off the flow and keep my blood inside.

Eventually after about an hour I filled the bag and the nurses said this was actually good, because then I wouldn't be sick.  I felt ok at first, nibbled some snacks and drank some juice.  I stood up to leave...and hit the floor...

I have never felt so terrible as I did after that.  Everyone around me went sheet white.  They said I was GREEN in the face and that my eyes rolled back in my head.  I don't think I can ever remember being so sick.  I laid around for DAYS unable to think, eat, or even move!

The nurses suggested that perhaps my body just couldn't take it and my blood pressure would bottom out from even the slightest bit of blood loss.

This holds true today.  Any substantial amount of blood loss, even that which wouldn't harm any other person will drop me like a sack of potatoes.  I feel badly because I know I have 'clean' blood and that someone might be able to use it...but it is really hard for me to give blood.  The same is true of my father who is 6'2" and 275 lbs.  If he tries to give blood, he'll hit the floor and be out.  His blood pressure bottoms out to the point he will sometimes need medication to jump start him.  I don't risk it anymore.  Sad

awww, man, i'm sorry. Sad
Thought
Level 4 Contributor

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 03:10:07 PM »

Yeah...oh well. Tongue

iVamp : Ask me what kinds of Apps I come with.
belovedofdeath
Level 5 Contributor

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 03:39:01 PM »

Yeah...oh well. Tongue

maybe i'll have to go donate once more for you. ;---;

i'm A-, and i think that that's kind of a rarish. :/
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: